19 May 2010

Rumors


By Anna Godbersen
Published by HarperCollins Publishers
First paperback edition, 2009

Rumors is a Luxe novel; which is to say it is part of a series of books that centres around Manhattan society at the turn of the twentieth century. While I'm sure I am well out of the age range meant to be targeted by these books, I am totally caught up in them and look forward to reading the next book in the series.

Rumors picks up where the first book in the series - The Luxe - left off. I won't tell you where that is because if you haven't read the first book, I don't want to be the one to spoil it for you. However, the book continues with the same flare for gossipy girls, snooty heiresses, ill-mannered boys, and interfering servants, all of which make for some interesting and unforeseen plot twists.

I'm sure part of the fun of writing about socialites during this time period is what this era allows you to do; suspense can be drawn on the strength of a note passed from one grand house to another (via servants, of course) - no texting, no phoning, no emailing - and the tension in awaiting a reply can be unbearable. And, of course, a lady has a strict code of conduct to live by, which means everything forbidden is that much more exciting.

These books are well written with a good main storyline to draw you in. Many thanks to my niece who generously loaned me the first two books in the series. Be warned, sweet niece, I'm on my way over for more!!

No comments: